Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Aspiedar



Aspiedar.  It's that feeling that some Aspies get when they suspect that another person might have AS.  It's a bit like gaydar- an aware Aspie can watch a TV show or listen to someone talk and instantly be convinced that the person has Asperger's Syndrome.

This happens to me all the time.  I was watching Bones for the first time with a friend.  Each time Bones spoke or interacted with someone, I became more and more convinced.  During the second commercial break, I turned to my friend and pointed out all the Aspie traits Bones has, convincing him as well.

The most disconcerting time I've had my Aspiedar pinging was during my Introduction to Natural Sciences class.  I'm pretty sure that my professor is and Aspie just from the way he talks and responds to questions.

Parents of Aspie kids might have it too - after all, you listen to your own child speak enough and you become familiar with the characteristics almost as well as someone on the spectrum themselves.

Has your Aspiedar pinged lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment